Saturday, March 7, 2015

SOL # 7 Celebrating Birthdays

SOL # 7 Birthday Celebrations

March ushers in a deluge of birthday celebrations. Between my husband’s family and mine we have a dozen birthdays. Many times we celebrate the adult birthdays with one huge family gathering. But the children must have their own party. Celebrations have already started, I received a group text last night.  The fun will continue throughout the month.  For the kids, we might skate, bowl, offer horseback rides, or simply play games outside, depending on the age of the honoree. For the adults we usually visit, eat and open gifts. And gifts for children should not be a book. I found that out after bringing a book to one nephew turning 4. He took the book and asked, "Where is my gift?" I saved our relationship by telling him I had included some cash for him to shop and choose his own gift.

We always have birthday cake and ice cream. Sometimes we have homemade ice cream. The menu is usually tailored to the tastes of the honoree. My father-in-law usually barbecued until he could no longer stand on his knees that long.

We’ve had cakes in the form of Spiderman and the little guy came dressed as Spiderman. Another young lad was dressed as Batman so Gotham City was the design on the cake.  Sometimes the guests are characters! Mickey and Minnie showed up once.












Last July, for my father-in-law’s 90th birthday, we invited friends from far and near. We hosted almost 100 people. That took the whole family working together to make that happen.

All this celebrating originated with my mother-in-law. She felt it was especially important to honor each person on birthdays.  It is a tradition we have continued. In doing this we honor her memory, her love for life and her daily celebrations.



9 comments:

  1. I love birthday celebrations and traditions. Our tradition usually includes homemade ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father-in-law who is 90 said his birthday (July) was the only time he had ice cream as a boy. It was always homemade. I think that is where that got started for us.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday was my birthday. My family is not big on celebrations and it's usually a really low key day. I sometimes wish we did birthdays more like your family! Sounds like you have made some really special memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you! It is a special day. My birthday is a week after Christmas & too soon to have another gathering. I never wanted anyone to make a fuss over my birthday so my mother-in-law settled for a quiet dinner out, just the 4 of us. But I recognize how important these traditions ha R become in our family.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday was my birthday. My family is not big on celebrations and it's usually a really low key day. I sometimes wish we did birthdays more like your family! Sounds like you have made some really special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you have terrific celebrations....I'm sure everyone just loves and looks forward to it all year....they kids don't know the treasure of a book maybe yet...I do though...they are the best presents ever!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do look forward to the family gatherings. I always give them books at Christmas.

      Delete
  5. This is a lovely tribute to her tradition. I had a friend who's family treated birthdays as huge events to celebrate life and the person. That always stuck with me. Our birthday month was January. My son's birthday is this Wednesday. We have already started celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One motivational speaker who made an impact said, "If you can't be first in your own backyard, something needs to be changed." It is important to celebrate our lives.

      Delete

Summer Reading List