Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Better Boy Tomatoes

The prompt for April 5: spend some time looking at the names of heirloom plants, and write a poem that takes its inspiration from, or incorporates the name of, one or more of these garden rarities.

Red Monster, Goat's Beard and Golden Rave
Not one out performs Better Boy plants
Buckets of tomatoes were given
People followed me from the grocery
Just to pick beauties for their table
Or grab some for fried green tomatoes
Few others had the bountiful crop
One alone filled a round dinner plate
Canned jars of salsa and tomatoes
Enjoyed them all winter in soup dishes
No Pink Cadillac or Jelly Beans 
I'll stay true to Better Boy plants



6 comments:

  1. You made my mouth water for summer tomatoes. I'm a Better Boy fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So those are the ones I need to get? I never know what to plant. Those are some great plants! Can't wait until it's tomato season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the taste of the Better Boys the best. I think last year was an incredibly good/wet year.

      Delete
  4. Those are some beautiful plants. I love garden tomatoes! Great poem!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Reading List