Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Day 28 SOL #2017 Math Matches

Do you remember math matches? Every Friday afternoon our 5th grade class would put away our books, pencils and paper and clean off our desks. Our teacher would call up two students to the blackboard. One student was given the opportunity to select which math operation would be used to compete. One boy who was quickest in subtraction always chose that. The teacher would call out the problem. Each student had to remember it until the teacher gave the go ahead. Then both students would turn toward the blackboard and begin furiously writing the problem, then work to solve it. When done the students put the chalk down and turned toward the class. Answers were checked. The student who answered the problem first was the winner and stayed up for the next challenger.

That student selected the operation and the match began again. Some students might have a long run of winning. Sometimes the operation chosen made all the difference in which student won. It was an exciting way to spend a Friday afternoon in 5th Grade.


9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I ever played that game! Wow, sounds exciting for fifth graders. The way you tell this bit by bit made me feel like I was right in the classroom with you! Thanks for sharing this!
    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I ever played that game! Wow, sounds exciting for fifth graders. The way you tell this bit by bit made me feel like I was right in the classroom with you! Thanks for sharing this!
    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funny, it was just a memory that came to me lately but I can still see that skinny boy who was so quick with subtraction!

      Delete
  3. I do not remember ever doing that game, but I do remember having to do math problems on the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments. The competitive atmosphere made it more than drill and board practice.

      Delete
  4. I kind of do this thing with my students. However I switch the students each time. I think tomorrow I'll do this version instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this memory (and I wonder where that subtraction wiz is now??!!). We played "Around the World" -- similar in that it was a math competition, played with flashcards as students were "matched up", given a problem (ie, shown the flashcard) and the first one get it right "moves on". I remember it being fun, b/c I was good at mental math. I wonder if some kids dreaded it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those flash cards! I like this version, too. I'm sure some kids dreaded it, but what makes us uncomfortable sometimes provokes us to try harder. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Summer Reading List