Monday, October 15, 2012

Sedge

Sedges have edges!


You will find sedges in most wetland habitats. I was walking in my field with my Golden Retriever when I saw this particular one. I was reminded of a question by Aldo Leopold, "Who is more thoroughly acquainted with the world in which he lives, the wild things that live there or the person who owns the land?" I know in my instance the wildlife knows much more about the land than I.

I wanted to know the Carex family this plant belonged so I thought a picture would be good enough for me to identify the kind of sedge it is. Now that I'm inside and looking in my plant field guide, I find I need more information to identify it. I should have taken a close up picture of the stem. There are so many questions to answer before I could know the identify. I would have to be satisfied with knowing it is a sedge because I didn't want to collect it. I wanted to leave it for future growth.  Maybe next spring I will encounter more of these plants on my walks with my dog.


2 comments:

  1. I know your feeling about identifying this sedge Patricia! I also had this one growing at my pond but because it spread so voraciously, I removed it. As you've probably discovered, there are thousands of species of sedges, so identifying one particular one can be quite a daunting task! Lovely post and I hope you find more next spring,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maree, thank you for your kind words. I look forward to reading more of your post.

      Delete

Summer Reading List