Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The 7th Annual Halloweensie Contest

The Contest: write a 100 word Halloween story appropriate for children (children here defined as 12 and under) (title not included in the 100 words), using the words candy cornmonster, and shadow. (Candy corn will be counted as 1 word.)  Your story can be scary, funny, or anything in between, poetry or prose, but it will only count for the contest if it includes those 3 words and is 100 words (you can go under, but not over!) Here is the link to the contest:
The 7th annual Halloweensie Contest

Here is my silly entry that was inspired by a two-year old's choice for a costume.

Let's get our Halloween costumes. What do you want to be?

I want to be an elbow for Halloween.

What's scary about an elbow? What does an elbow do?

It's bony and it creaks.

Let's dress as monsters. All your friends will be dressed as monsters.

Ok, then I'll be a candy corn.

What's scary about candy corn? Everyone will eat you up.

I'll hide in the shadow of the corn stalk.

Perfect! I can be the cornstalk. You can jump out and scare everyone.

And the creaking, bending elbow will be the scariest Halloween costume ever!  

I'll be the monster.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is hilarious! This sounds like one of the conversations I had with my son when he was that age. LOVE IT! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I pictured talking with my son about costume choices, we were often in two different places.

      Delete
  2. Elbow's can be very scary. Especially at my advanced age when they start aching. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't argue with a two-year-old's logic! Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your scary story ��. And I really love your painting!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! You have nailed kid logic and rationale perfectly, Pat :) There IS rhyme to their reason... it's just sometimes hard to figure it out :) Thanks so much for a fun entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the challenge! It was fun. I really enjoyed reading all the great entries!

      Delete
  6. I love this story! It's the creaking, bending knees that scare me most.

    ReplyDelete

Summer Reading List