Monday, April 3, 2017

#A to Z Challenge C for Catkin

C is for catkin, it is a dense, cylindrical drooping flower (without petals) in some trees such as willows, oaks, or birches. Catkins are either all male on one tree or all female on another tree. Male catkins are about 1 inch long while female catkins are less than one inch long. I think the catkins pictured here are male. Catkins are usually pollinated by the wind or sometimes by insects.

Here is my picture of the catkins on the weeping willow in my yard. I think they must be male catkins. I took the photo March 19 of this year.


Weeping Willow Catkins




14 comments:

  1. Lovely photo! I didn't know that willows had catkins. We have a willow on the back part of our farm that I can see from a distance. Now I want to go back and take a look to see what its catkins look like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! In the book of trees I have, I saw that Missouri has 8 different kind of willows.

      Delete
  2. Trees with catkins make a big mess around here. I have lindens dropping winged seeds all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a problem when the trees are in the yard or around your home. Tree identification books mention that issue. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat skins hmm
    I didn't know the real name of this plant. I used to call it velvet as a kid :-)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's the name! I always snap pictures of various plants and flowers but never know the names of them!

    Absolutely Amazing Alliteration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers! I'd heard of catkins, but didn't know what they looked like or that they grew on trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo and description. I look forward to seeing what else you shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew they could be male or female - very interesting.

    Pamela @ Highlands Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete

Summer Reading List