Thursday, April 27, 2017

X is for Xavier Mission

I researched the letter x, I wanted ideas to connect a picture with this letter. First I need to let you know that I love old books, I collect them because they contain so much that is lost in the world today. So I have a few old books to peruse.

In New Universities Webster Dictionary from 1940 the letter Xx has 107 entries. It's a very thorough book.

In 1974, I purchased a Webster's New World Dictionary @1971 just before I started college. I used it to spell words, to find out if I should use an adverb or an adjective, to learn how to correctly pronounce the word, to uncover the meanings and to find synonyms for writing. Xx has 30 entries in it.

The World Book Encyclopedia of 1994, Xx has 17 entries. This is the most current hard bound resource I have. I used to have an app to help me, now I mostly use Wikipedia, or the dictionary from 1971.

Anyway, I think we have slowed use of the letter x. Maybe thats because it has 6 different sounds. No wonder English is a difficult language to learn. Many words beginning with Xx in the oldest book no longer appear in newer dictionaries. Xerox was not in the old book, but X-ray was. Xebec appeared in all three books. It is a 3-masted ship used in the Mediterranean. X-chromosone was only in the 1994 book.

Also appearing in all three books was St. Francis Xavier, a Jesuit missionary. That sounded familiar to me so I dug a little more, went to Wikipedia and hit the jackpot. I've been there and have pictures of the St. Francis Xavier Mission south of Tucson,  Arizona. It was established in 1692! It is beautiful! My photos aren't great because I was using a new camera, with settings unfamiliar to me.




10 comments:

  1. The missionary looks beautiful. It's amazing that it is standing and in such good condition after hundreds of hundreds of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late coming over from the A to Z but will explore your other photos. Love that altar. You did hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so I took the tour and loved many of your photos. Your doggie is so sweet looking and those kittens are adorable...kudos to you for taking care of them! The art I saw on day one is excellent and I hope it was successful

      Delete
    2. Thank you for spending your time with my photostories. Our dog is quite special and she loves bed the kittens as much as I did. I think I'm improving with my art, or my husband thinks I'm improving. I just enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh...I have been subbing and have not had time to read. We did both resort to the good old fashioned dictionary for this letter! Love your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, love old books! They smell better.
    I have a character named after this Saint. Very cool post. Good with with the X.

    J -- Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference and Speculative Fiction Writer
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I've enjoyed your stories, you've inspired me to write and set a writing goal for May. Thank you!

      Delete

Summer Reading List